Powered by Blogger.

August Favourites 2017


The weather is getting that little bit chillier each day which can only mean one thing, Autumn is upon us. But before we can start getting ready for Halloween we must say goodbye to the summer with an August Favourites.





My first favourite this month is the book Lost Boy by Christina Henry. By the name you can probably already tell it is a retelling of the beloved Peter Pan tale. I love the story of Peter Pan (especially when it has anything to do with Hook) and I also have a soft spot in my heart for retellings of classic stories.
This book is from the POV of Jamie, the first ever lost boy and Peter's favourite. This book is set before the original story and I guess could be counted a prequel. Lost Boy explores the problems that come with trying to be a boy forever and living on an island where death is around every corner. Living in Neverland is no fairy tale. This book also reinforces the idea that Peter is the real villain which I think most people forget from the original tale.
Although this book can feel a bit slow at points I think it's a clever story that focuses on the very real problems with Peter Pan. I'd recommend any Peter Pan fan read this!

Keeping with the theme of fairy tales, my movie favourite is Descendents 2! Descendents 2 is the much better sequel to the Disney Channel film Descendents. This film is all about the children of the famous fairy tale characters and follows four teens that are the children of villains.
For a children's film, this film is surprisingly good and it has some great songs. My favourites from the soundtrack are Chillin' Like a Villian and What's My Name. I've been listening to the soundtrack a little too much recently...
I just wanna give a shout out to the director of these films AND the director of High School Musical (possibly the best Disney films ever), Kenny Ortega! Keep making great Disney Musicals and keep breaking records.

As well as the Descendents soundtrack, I've been listening to a lot of music this month. My first musical favourite is Kesha's amazing new album Rainbow. It is incredible. Every song on this album is a masterpiece and so empowering! Even if you've never listened to Kesha before, just listen to this album because you will fall in love.

The next music favourite of August is Most Girls by Hailee Steinfeld. Ever since I watched the film Edge of Seventeen, which Hailee stars in, I have been obsessed with her. She is a great actress and a great singer. All her songs are very feel-good songs but Most Girls in particular sticks out to me and puts me in a good mood and taping my foot.



The next great song I've been listening to non-stop this month is Look What You Made Me Do by Taylor Swift. I'll be honest when I first heard this song I was a bit unsure about it but I thought I'd give it a shot because I am a big fan of Taylor's music and now I can't stop listening to it. I really love petty over the top music so this song is perfect for me. If you haven't seen the music video for this song yet, you need to watch it! It's a lot but it's great.
Although I miss old Taylor, she is dead and I'm ready for new music.


Marvel's The Defenders came out this month and I have been looking forward to this show for so long. I watched almost all of it on the day it came out and I loved it. It was so great to see these characters finally coming together and becoming friends. Jessica and Matt really stood out for me and I think they make great friends. They are both quite similar people and I think, those two particularly, need other super friends to relate to. I also need to point out that Matt was freaking adorable. He just loves the other Defenders so much. Danny was a lot more likable in this series and I do think that has a lot to do with his new friendship with Luke Cage and the constant jokes from Luke.
I really recommend watching this if you're a superhero fan! Although, I would say you need to watch the other four shows first to fully understand and appreciate it.



Another Netflix show I've been watching this month is One Day at a Time. This is a great comedy series that follows a Cuban-American family. Not only is this a very funny show but it also focuses on some very series topics and educates the viewer at the same time. There are only 13 episodes and they are only half an hour long so it's a very easy watch. This show is so underrated! Everyone needs to watch it.

Goodbye summer! Time for everyone to go back to education and get ready for the skeleton war.

What were your favourites this month? Let me know in the comments!

No comments